Sales Prospecting and Business Development™
Sales prospecting, or business development, is often taken for granted. Even excellent sales professionals can use more help at building and developing their pipelines. Effective sales prospecting is critical for creating the quantity and quality of opportunities in your pipeline, which determine your revenue results and, ultimately, your income. This program is designed to empower sales professionals with the skills they need to find or create an unlimited supply of new sales opportunities.
This program focuses on business development planning, how to communicate with prospects, and how to turn sales prospects into opportunities.
- Establish a repeatable, actionable 90-day business development plan designed to measure and achieve specific goals.
- Thoroughly research target accounts and prepare a powerful approach that articulates the business value you can deliver.
- Identify the characteristics of those who would most likely benefit from and buy your solutions and transform that into a Profile of the Ideal Client.
- Employ proven and effective techniques for written and verbal conversations that set you apart from the average salesperson.
- Use multiple mediums of communication to reach a variety of key people within the prospective client’s organization.
- Craft and ask diagnostic questions to pique interest and reveal opportunities for making a positive impact the prospect’s business.
- Propose and close on the logical next step, such as a face-to-face meeting with the prospect.
- Track business development efforts and results to establish benchmarks and determine the greatest opportunities for improvement.
Two or Three Day On-Site Workshop; Eight or Twelve Module eWorkshop Series
1. Sales Prospecting in the 21st Century
- The evolution of sales prospecting
- Blending marketing, sales, and BD
- Redefining your role in creating sales opportunities
- Preparing for prospecting in today’s market
- The skills needed for 21st century prospecting
Sales Tool: Prospecting Skills Assessment
3. Preparation for Strategic Prospecting
- Understanding why your customers buy
- Prospecting research and preparation
- Understanding your customer’s business
- Determining the value and results you can deliver
- Linking your solutions to your clients goals
Sales Tool: Prospecting Research Template
5. Crafting a Powerful Prospecting Approach
- Exploring prospecting approach strategies
- Leveraging networking and referrals
- Aligning with your customer’s stated goals
- Challenging your customer’s status quo
- Leveraging the “value hypothesis”
Sales Tool: Prospecting Approach Worksheet
7. Developing Your Own Prospecting Templates
- Mastering the art of the printed letter
- Creating compelling prospecting emails
- Effective use of voicemail messages
- Developing your telephone talking points
- Leveraging other mediums of communication
Sales Tool: Collection of Prospecting Templates
9. Planning and Tracking Your Prospecting Results
- Defining the stages of your prospecting process
- Establishing milestones and key metrics
- Reverse activity planning and goal-setting
- Tracking your conversion rate at each process stage
- Measuring and maximizing velocity through the process
Sales Tool: Prospecting Process Tracking Tool
11. Time & Territory Management for Prospecting
- Establishing your territory goals and objectives
- Planning your territory coverage and activity
- Establishing your prospecting goals and objectives
- Compartmentalizing your work week
- Creating a 30-day prospecting plan
Sales Tool: 30-Day Prospecting Plan Template
2. Strategic vs. Tactical Prospecting
- Moving from tactical to more strategic prospecting
- The five phases of your prospecting process
- Defining your profile of the ideal client
- Using the concept of targeted prospecting
- Developing a revolving list of target accounts
Sales Tool: Profile of the Ideal Client
4. Defining Your Prospecting Strategy
- Acquiring the strategic prospecting mindset
- Who should we be approaching and how?
- Finding the right people within accounts
- Determining the angle for each contact
- Defining what you want your customer to think or do
Sales Tool: Prospecting Strategy Worksheet
6. Leveraging a Multi-Pronged Approach Pattern
- Using multiple communication mediums
- Creating a multi-pronged approach pattern
- Raising above the “noise” and getting noticed
- Combining creative approach mediums
- Tracking through the multi-pronged approach
Sales Tool: Multi-Pronged Approach Worksheet
8. Turning Conversations into Sales Opportunities
- Crafting and using diagnostics questions
- Preparing “executive access questions”
- Earning your way past gatekeepers
- Identifying and preparing for objections
- Selling on a process of mutual discovery
Sales Tool: First-Call Objections Worksheet
10. Growing Your Confidence and Relate-ability
- Developing your personal and professional confidence
- Envisioning and rehearsing success
- Relating to various personality and buying styles
- Building rapport and influence with your prospects
- Becoming your customer’s trusted advisor
Sales Tool: Confidence and Relate-ability Plan
12. Responding to Inbound Leads, Inquiries, & RFPs
- Engaging prospects wherever they are in the process
- Lead nurturing and ongoing BD
- Reshaping your customer’s buying process
- Using leads and RFPs to create “real” sales opportunities
- Best practices for responding to formal RFPs
Sales Tool: Best Practices for Responding to Leads and RFPs
- On-site Classroom Training. A customized program, between one and three days, with interactive discussions, small group exercises and tailored role plays.
- Virtual Classroom Training. Our same live, instructor-led classroom experience to individuals or sales teams anywhere in the world without the need for travel costs.
- Online Learning. Self-paced HD video eLearning modules for asynchronous learning and reinforcement.
- Instructor Certification. Become certified to teach this program through our Train the Trainer program.