Winning Competitive Contracts in Response to RFPs™
This cutting-edge course is built around a highly-structured process for responding to RFPs. We start with evaluating the “win-ability” of each Request for Proposal contract, organizing your RFP response team, competitive differentiation, structuring and writing your RFP response proposal, and presenting your proposal to the client.
This program covers the entire RFP process and the steps to take along the way.
- Invest sales resources in the right RFPs . . . the ones you CAN win!
- Improve your win-rate in competitive proposals and tenders
- Select the right RFPs to respond to
- Craft and execute an effective competitive sales strategy
Two Day On-Site Workshop or Eight Module eWorkshop Series
1. Playing the “RFP Game” to Win
- The value and risks of responding to RFPs
- The RFP response as a “sales channel”
- Ten factors that determine your RFP success
- The real cost and potential benefits
- Overcoming the “Ready. Fire! Aim.” syndrome
Tool: RFP Win-Ability Scorecard
3. Selecting which RFPs to Respond To
- Using analysis and judgment in qualifying RFPs
- Selecting only RFPs that you can win
- “The warning signs”…Which RFPs to avoid
- Creating your own RFI (Request For Information)
- Criteria-based qualification for RFPs
Tool: RFP Qualification Worksheet
5. Preparing For Your RFP Response
- Planning for the time and effort involved
- Appraising the RFP itself: Question clustering
- Assembling the RFP response team
- Acquiring the resources and skill sets to win
- Assigning responsibility for portions of the RFP
Tool: RFP Preparation Guidelines
7. The RFP Response Process
- Orchestrating the RFP response effort
- The project management side of the process
- collecting and managing all the data
- Using proposal software and other support tools
- Leveraging an RFP Response Checklist
Tool: RFP Response Checklist
2. Understanding the RFP Process
- Why companies use RFPs
- Understanding the “context” of the RFP
- How companies evaluate RFPs
- The people involved in the evaluation
- Understanding the “scoring” system
Tool: Roles and Milestones of the RFP Process
4. Defining Your RFP Response Strategy
- Questions for the client and bidders’ forum
- Negotiating for additional access and information
- Conducting the client needs assessment
- Strategies for “changing” and winning the game
- Planning your competitive RFP strategy
Tool: RFP Strategy Planner
6. The Structure of Your RFP Response
- Adhering to client response guidelines…or not?
- The overall structure of your RFP response
- Executive summaries and chapter organization
- Layout and presentation of data and information
- Handling figures, exhibits, samples, etc.
Tool: RFP Response Template
8. Closing and RFP-Laden Opportunity
- Understanding the client’s plan for closure
- Negotiating the RFP review process
- Negotiating the RFP review timeline
- Negotiating your proposal presentation
- Leveraging a Customer Results Plan
Tool: Customer Results Plan
Any of the following modules may be substituted for any of modules 5, 6, 7, or 8 above. These four modules can also be added to the eight above to create a comprehensive three day on-site workshop or twelve module eLearning curriculum.
9. Persuasive Proposal Writing
- Elements of effective proposal writing
- Matching the customer’s language
- Articulating and selling value on paper
- Word choice and readability
- Common proposal writing mistakes to avoid
Tool: Guidelines for Effective Proposal Writing
11. Pricing Strategies for RFP-Driven Proposals
- Gauging pricing pressure: Number of bidders?
- Understanding customer pricing expectations
- Rules for effective pricing in an RFP response
- How RFPs impact negotiation strategy
- Planning and strategy for price negotiation
Tool: Pricing and Negotiating Strategy Worksheet
10. Effective Proposal Presentations
- How, when, and why to “present” your proposal
- Getting audience, agenda, and venue RIGHT!
- Prep for your presentation: What you must know!
- The structure of your RFP response presentation
- Using your presentation to move toward closure
Tool: RFP Response Presentation Template
12. Leveraging RFP Win/Loss Analysis
- The value of feedback and criticism
- A process for analyzing wins and losses
- Assessing our opinions of why we won or lost
- Conducting a win/loss analysis with the client
- Using what we learn to constantly get better
Tool: Win/Loss Analysis Worksheet
- On-site Classroom Training. A customized program, between one and three days, with interactive discussions, small group exercises and tailored role plays.
- Virtual Classroom Training. Our same live, instructor-led classroom experience to individuals or sales teams anywhere in the world without the need for travel costs.
- Online Learning. Self-paced HD video eLearning modules for asynchronous learning and reinforcement.
- Instructor Certification. Become certified to teach this program through our Train the Trainer program.